Ethiopia recently passed a new law effective in May 2010 that all adopting parents must now come to Ethiopia twice before the adoption is final. The reason, from what I understand, is to make sure parents are being referred a child that has been described to them, thus avoiding some corruption that has taken place (apparently some parents have been told a child is healthy and when they get there the child has severe health problems. Sometimes the parents then decide that it is something that is beyond their capabilities and leave the child in Ethiopia, which creates a legal problem for the child to be adopted in the future). Also, they want to ensure that the birth families haven’t been paid off by the adoptive families – that is the reason for having them all in court together. So that legally, they can be sure that the arrangements between the two sets of families and the agency have been made ethically. There may be other reasons that I don't know of, I'm still researching that. So far what I have found out is through my agency board.
I now must travel twice to Ethiopia to complete my adoption. Once during the court date and about two months later to pick up my baby.
Pros: I get to see my baby twice, as well as Ethiopia twice.
Cons: I have to leave my baby after meeting her which will be torture for me, 30 hour flight time twice, twice the travel expenses, have to leave work for an extra week etc.

No comments:
Post a Comment